Re: Configure tool/cvs repository trouble

From: Allan Clark
Subject: Re: Configure tool/cvs repository trouble
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:59:29 -0400

Patrick Guio wrote:
> If I just "touch configure" then everything is running ok again. I am not
> sure which of the package is generating this trouble nut is there any
> policy/strategy of using configuration tool together with a cvs
> repository?

A common timestamp issue is introduced when developers check in
generated content such as configure, Makefile.in, Makefile, config.h.in,
etc.  CVS seems to alter timestamps on some files in an order that
conflicts with automake and autoconf.

Checking in generated content should be avoided where possible.  The
only reason I've heard for people to put generated content into CVS is
for downstream developers; If the downstream doesn't have all the same
auto* tools installed, make a drop with "make dist" instead.

I'm not saying that this is your problem or the sole issue; I'm saying
this to confirm that you're not walking into pain and suffering.  Others
here may (will?) disagree.

Allan