64bit HPUX problems

From: ross . alexander
Subject: 64bit HPUX problems
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:34:56 +0100

First of all, I'm not on the mailing list so please reply to me directly.

The problem is libtool is currently is setup to work with 32bit SOM
objects.
The 64bit objects are ELF and file reports them quite differently.

address@hidden 14:56:44 $file /usr/lib/libc.sl /usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl
/usr/lib/libc.sl:       PA-RISC1.1 shared library -not stripped
/usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl:       ELF-64 shared object file - PA-RISC 2.0
(LP64)

There currently two supported *-*-* triples for 64bit

      hppa64-hp-hpux11.*
      hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.*

I can produce a patch for ltmain.sh (1.4d) to detect these but because both
32bit and 64bit co-exist it is impossible to tell what the user wanted
(config.guess
reports hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.* but I'm not sure we should default to 64bit).

Cheers,

Ross

Ross Alexander                           "He knows no more about his
MIS - NEC Europe Limited            destiny than a tea leaf knows
Work ph: +44 20 8752 3394         the history of East India Company"