Re: 64bit HPUX problems

From: ross . alexander
Subject: Re: 64bit HPUX problems
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:06:16 +0100

Albert,

I don't think we can't really rely on cflags because because the user could
be using gcc, in which
case we would have to look for __LP64__ (I think).  I think it might be
easier to check
$host_cpu for hppa2.0w.  However, a user wanting to build for 32bit would
then have
to set the build to hppa2.0n-hp-hpux*.

Ross Alexander                           "He knows no more about his
MIS - NEC Europe Limited            destiny than a tea leaf knows
Work ph: +44 20 8752 3394         the history of East India Company"

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Albert Chin            |
|         |           <address@hidden|
|         |           enword.com>            |
|         |                                  |
|         |           03/07/2002 16:00       |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           libtool                |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       address@hidden
                 |
  |       cc:       address@hidden
                              |
  |       Subject:  Re: 64bit HPUX problems

> The problem is libtool is currently is setup to work with 32bit SOM
> objects.  The 64bit objects are ELF and file reports them quite
> differently.
>
> address@hidden 14:56:44 $file /usr/lib/libc.sl /usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl
> /usr/lib/libc.sl:       PA-RISC1.1 shared library -not stripped
> /usr/lib/pa20_64/libc.sl:       ELF-64 shared object file - PA-RISC 2.0
> (LP64)
>
> There currently two supported *-*-* triples for 64bit
>
>       hppa64-hp-hpux11.*
>       hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.*
>
> I can produce a patch for ltmain.sh (1.4d) to detect these but
> because both 32bit and 64bit co-exist it is impossible to tell what
> the user wanted (config.guess reports hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.* but I'm
> not sure we should default to 64bit).

Why don't you look at CFLAGS for +DD64? We do something similar for
AIX by examining LDFLAGS for -brtl.

Some info that might be helpful to you:
  http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90655/B2355-90655.html

--