Re: Using HEAD, still CXX is not used to link C++ libs

From: Brett H. Williams
Subject: Re: Using HEAD, still CXX is not used to link C++ libs
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:34:24 -0600

On Aug 27, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Brett H. Williams wrote:
>
> > On Aug 27, Boehne, Robert wrote:
> > So the assumption is that $CC = $CXX when using C++?  This is not always
> > true.
> > While for the simple project in question it _could_ be, this seems a blatant
> > misuse of $CC.  Otherwise, why have $CXX at all?
>
> What he said was that the value of CC in the libtool script is
> *temporary* changed to be the same as CXX.  It is changed back later.

Hmmm... that sounds reasonable...what do I need to do to enable this behavior?

[snip]
> Building shared or static libraries is a libtool option.  You have
> control over how many times it compiles source files.

Ah, but not really.  I need to build both static and shared libraries.  I just
use PIC objects in the static library so I only need to compile each object
file once.  I happen to know for my two platforms that the objects are
identical.  I just need a way to tell libtool the same thing.  I know this
might not be the most platform independent behavior (I assume for some
platforms that PIC objects and libtool objects could be different and in some
way incompatible).

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks both of you for the quick responses.