Re: Using HEAD, still CXX is not used to link C++ libs

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Using HEAD, still CXX is not used to link C++ libs
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:42:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Brett H. Williams wrote:

> On Aug 27, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Brett H. Williams wrote:
> >
> > > On Aug 27, Boehne, Robert wrote:
> > > So the assumption is that $CC = $CXX when using C++?  This is not always
> > > true.
> > > While for the simple project in question it _could_ be, this seems a
> > > blatant
> > > misuse of $CC.  Otherwise, why have $CXX at all?
> >
> > What he said was that the value of CC in the libtool script is
> > *temporary* changed to be the same as CXX.  It is changed back later.
>
> Hmmm... that sounds reasonable...what do I need to do to enable this behavior?

This is current CVS libtool behavior in my experience.  If you don't
check out from a tag (or do 'cvs update -Af'), you should get the
current CVS libtool.

> Ah, but not really.  I need to build both static and shared libraries.  I just
> use PIC objects in the static library so I only need to compile each object
> file once.  I happen to know for my two platforms that the objects are
> identical.  I just need a way to tell libtool the same thing.  I know this
> might not be the most platform independent behavior (I assume for some
> platforms that PIC objects and libtool objects could be different and in some
> way incompatible).

Libtool doesn't provide a way for you to override its default
pessimistic behavior.

The key objectives of libtool are to

 1) Always produce working programs
 2) Keep the user from having to know/specify platform specifics
 3) Work on rainy days

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden