Linux/Win32 cross and DLLs

From: David Olofson
Subject: Linux/Win32 cross and DLLs
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:31:10 +0200

Hi!

I'm working on a library/DLL version of an audio engine that was formerly
part of a game. I'd like to support both static and dynamic linking where
possible. No problem with Linux native builds.

However, when it comes to cross compiling for Win32, I'm running into
trouble as soon as I try to link with another library/DLL. System
libraries and stuff are fine, but libSDL just won't work.

IIRC, if I use the -no-undefined option, I simply get only a static lib
(no DLL), while without it, libtool wants to run impgen.c on SDL.DLL, but
fails to compile impgen.c as a result of passing some System V specific
switch to 'as'. (At last, it *does* at least use the native compiler
instead of the Win32 cross gcc, without any libtool patching or other
tricks... Dunno' what I was doing before.)

Meanwhile, other libraries that depend on SDL don't even try to run
impgen - they just build proper DLLs anyway. I've looked at everything I
could think of, including upgrading other projects to the
automake/autoconf/libtool I'm using and vice versa, but still; my lib
won't build a DLL and others will.

I've read all docs and posts I could find on the matter, and I've spent
countless hours trying to sort out what's actually going on, but so far,
no luck. Any ideas...?

I'm using autoconf 2.52, automake 1.5 and, hmm... libtool 1.3.5.

Could the older libtool be it?

Still doesn't explain why other libs build properly with the same setup,
even after replacing *all* scripts with my versions. It *has* to be
something with my code or scripts, I think...

Hints? Specific documentation on Linux->Win32 cross compiling?

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB