Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:31:40 +0200

Earnie Boyd wrote:
David Olofson wrote:

             run impgen      (Cross Kaboom 2: impgen == target binary!)
                    where impgen will make *.dll -> *.imp.def
             make an import lib out of the output
                    by using normal dlltool/dllwrap commands
                    to turn the .def file into an implib binary
                    which is actually a staticdll format. easy part.

This is already handled in a sufficiently nice and clean way, that is?

So, why isn't dlltool being used?  BTW, dllwrap is deprecated.

It is!

Current versions of GCC require -shared in the link step to produce the
dll.  The -dll -mdll switches are deprecated.

yes! and libtool does not use -dll/-mdll IIRC.

Current versions of the linker can produce as well as use the foo.def
import files.

Oh, that's news to me. So, one can take the _linker_ to produce a
def file which contains the --dynamic-export-symbols? How is that?
I've looked into dlltool -z too long, it seems...

(and btw, _how_ recent that my be? ye know, these things happen to
 be unresolved for years now....)

cheers, guido