Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLib etc..."

From: Max Bowsher
Subject: Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLib etc..."
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:55:23 +0100

Robert Boehne wrote:
> Max,
>
> I took a look at the patch, and I don't have any objections
> to it being checked in to Libtool.  Can I get some comment
> from the mingwin people before I take the leap and
> check it in?

Well, ummm... thankyou!

But perhaps I should remove/fix some of the work-in-progress comments in there?
Like "Let's try this...". I did say "work-in-progress", intending to tidy up and
document reasons for the changes before submitting for checkin.

Also, since that patch is the first ever time I have looked at the libtool
source, I would appreciate scrutiny from the libtool side. Whilst almost
everything I've touched is inside mingw/cygwin conditionals, I should mention
that I do not know anything about writing portable Bourne shell.

There is one major decision that needs to be made: Keep or remove support for
old versions of the mingw toolchain.
All the -mdll stuff is deprecated in favour of gcc -shared now.

Option 1) Remove support pre "gcc -shared" toolchains
Pro: simplifies maintenance.
Con: might upset some people.

Option 2) Keep support for old syntax toolchains
Pro: does anyone actually use non-current mingw?
Con: Messy & probably not often tested now.

Max.