Re: Libtool and Intel compiler

From: mlist . gnu . libtool
Subject: Re: Libtool and Intel compiler
Date: 16 Sep 2002 14:54:11 -0700

==> "s" == sentinel27  <address@hidden> writes:

    s> I try to use the Intel compiler for linux together with
    s> automake /autoconf /libtool, but the icc does not understand
    s> the -rpath option. correct would be -Wl,-rpath, but no matter
    s> what I try to add to the Makefile.am I always end up with
    s> -rpath as option. Is there any way around that ??

The Intel compiler uses some different switches from gcc, although it
does use GNU ld -- your -rpath will work, with some additional effort.

Replace '-Wl,' with '-Qoption,ld,', to start with.  There are other
deviations too, mostly related to -W switches for warnings.

Unless some one is interested in folding in icc support, the easiest
workaround is to write a shell wrapper as your 'CC' and 'CXX' that
translates gcc switches provided by libtool into correct icc options.
My experience is that libtool can be completely fooled this way.

The hard part is the dependency generation -- icc has a dependency
generation mode, but it's not done in parallel with compiles like
the way gcc does.  Your hypothetical shell script would need to
invoke icc twice to reproduce gcc's -M behavior.

Carl