Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLib etc..."

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLib etc..."
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:18:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Max Bowsher wrote:

> There is one major decision that needs to be made: Keep or remove support for
> old versions of the mingw toolchain.
> All the -mdll stuff is deprecated in favour of gcc -shared now.

Since MinGW itself is a work in progress, I recommend that support for
pre "gcc -shared" toolchains be removed.  Support should be as similar
to Cygwin as possible, while ensuring that there are no DLL conflicts.

My experience is that current CVS libtool does not work acceptably
under MinGW so I think that the current stuff should be discarded in
favor of working code.

I can test the updated libtool with ImageMagick, which should exercise
it pretty well under MinGW.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden