Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLib etc..."

From: Tor Lillqvist
Subject: Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLib etc..."
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:09:10 +0300 (EET DST)

Guido writes:
> Aren't these two interrelated? I thought that the relink step was
> done to try to ensure the libs have a different image-base, even
> though it might never been implemented that way...

Umm, never thought of that. I thought that the relink was done because
of some issues with search paths, or full paths to shared libraries,
stored in executables (and shared libraries) on some platforms. And,
as Win32 exes and dlls only have DLL basenames in them, thus
irrelevant.

(Even if the relink step was done to set a hopefully unique image
base, why couldn't that be done when linking the first time?)

--tml