Re: [Mingw-users] Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLibetc..."
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:43:36 +0200

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Max Bowsher wrote:

I agree that this is inelegant. Ideally, we would calculate the relative path to
bindir from libdir, but I don't know how to do that. Anyone?

There is no requirement that bindir from libdir even be on the same
filesystem, or the same system, or symbolic links may be involved.
Relative paths are not aways possible.

yes. please, no such calculations or something at a time being
just too late. I'm doing the trick of adjusting the $libdir to
be like $bindir when $libdir has *not* been overriden on the
configure command line:

libdir=`echo $libdir |sed -e 's:^..exec_prefix./lib$:${bindir}:'`

it's a bit hackish but works great. Basically, I'm twisting the
gnu fhs defaults as hardcoded in the autoconf $bindir/$libdir to
be more win32 style. After some dead ends, I did combine a
number of these change-the-default-paths into an ac-macro:

http://ac-archive.SF.net/guidod/ac_set_default_paths_system.html

just use that one early in the configure.ac script (and after
ac_canocial_system), and the rest is just dont-worry-anymore.