libtool -release 2.1 does not add release to library name

From: Frank Kemmer
Subject: libtool -release 2.1 does not add release to library name
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:37:59 +0200

The scenarion is as follows: We build a custom library with libtool. We use
libtool
to build the shared lib and the static lib. For building the library I use
the following

   libtool -release 2.1 -version-info 0.0.0 ...

The shared library name results in libmyname-2.1.so.0.0.0 which is exactly
what I want.
But the static library archive name results in libmyname.a which more or
less is not
what I want.

What is the problem here? We want to deliver versioned releases of our
software. All
libs of our software get installed in one directory (e.g. /usr/local/lib).
This works
quite well for the shared libs due to the fine versioning, but it fails for
the static
library archive. The installation via make install will always overwrite the
older
installations of libmyname.a.

Wouldn't it be nice, if libtool had versioned the '.a' files, too, if the
-release option
is given? Or may be another option -staticlib-release?

This is just a question? Or is there another style of versioning intended
for the
static libs?

Cheerio

Frank Kemmer