Re: Converting a project to libtool

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: Converting a project to libtool
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:32:00 -0400

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 04:16:24PM -0700, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> I'm converting a project to libtool, and need to maintain the existing
> SONAME and library names.  I can't find a FAQ to see if there's a good
> way to do this.

I think the answer is "no, there's no good way to do this".

This is mainly because when you pass "-version-info C:R:A" to libtool,
the SONAME that results can be different between different systems.
Indeed, some systems (IRIX, I think) don't even have a single SONAME.

If you aim a bit lower, and are only concerned about keeping the
SONAME for one system, say linux, then you can just reverse-engineer
the computation that libtool does.  Then choose values for Current,
Revision, and Age that give you the answer you want.

-S