Re: Hacking around libtool.m4 (libtool-1.4e) for hppa64 support

From: Steve Ellcey
Subject: Re: Hacking around libtool.m4 (libtool-1.4e) for hppa64 support
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

> Thanks for the reply.  From the sounds of it I think there
> is a bug with gcc since it passes -shared to the linker
> regardless of whether --with-gnu-ld is configured or not.
>  I will research the issue.  Jeff Law and Dave Anglin
> are the HP maintainers, so I'll check them also.

Yes, this does look like it needs fixing.  Currently in my
local config/pa/pa64-hpux.h I have:

#undef LINK_SPEC
#define LINK_SPEC \
  "+Accept TypeMismatch -E %{mlinker-opt:-O} %{!shared:-u main} %{static:-a
archive} %{shared:-b}"

For use with the HP linker on PA64.  This would obviously be wrong for
the GNU ld though so we need this to vary based on what linker is used.

> Do you know when when GNU ld will be ready for the IA64?
> Given that a considerable amount of work is required for
> for the PA64 support it makes sense to try to integrate (or
> atleast create placeholders) for the IA64 code.

I do not know of anyone working on a GNU ld for HP-UX IA64.  We have
just been using the HP linker.

Steve Ellcey
address@hidden