-prefer-non-pic on hppa

From: David I. Lehn
Subject: -prefer-non-pic on hppa
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:46:32 -0400

I'd like to fix a build issue for mpeg2dec [1] on hppa.  The Debian
autobuilder failed on it [2].  The culprit appears to be the use of the
--mode=compile option -prefer-non-pic.  It looks like it incorrectly
assumes it didn't have to use -fPIC on hppa then fails at link time [3].

The intent of using the -prefer-non-pic was to not take the significant
performance hit that -fPIC causes on some platforms like x86.  The code
at least compiled on many platforms [4], I haven't actually run tests to
verify the result worked on anything but powerpc and x86.

Could someone more familiar with hppa take a look at this?
This is using libtool 1.4.2a.

[1] http://libmpeg2.sf.net/
[3]
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=mpeg2dec&ver=0.2.1-2&arch=hppa&stamp=1031760849&file=log&as=raw