Shared C++ libraries on AIX

From: Martin Frydl
Subject: Shared C++ libraries on AIX
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:54:10 +0200

Hello,

I'm having trouble when trying to built shared C++ libraries on AIX 4.3 with libtool 1.4.2 and also 1.4d. I'm using IBM C/C++ compiler 3.6.6.

The first problem is nm utility. Libtool lists public symbols in all .o files and creates export file from them. However, "nm -B" on AIX by default demangles all C++ identifiers and therefore these are not listed in export file. Extra option -C must be added to force nm not to demangle C++.

Second problem is with linking itself. Libtool passes -lc to linker but -lC (or -lC_r for reentrant version) should be used. When not used, link passes without problems but later when library invokes new operator, core dump occurs.

  Are there any suggestions regarding these issues?

  Thanks
    Martin