Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin

From: Christoph Egger
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:38:30 +0200 (MEST)

> >>Christoph Egger wrote:
> >>
> >>I am running Darwin 6.1. libtool 1.4.2, autoconf 2.52 and automake
> >>1.6.1 are shipped with it.
> >>
> >>The application I write loads dynamic libs at runtime or at least it
> >>should.
> >>But Darwin says, the dynamic lib are not of the right type of object
> >>file.
> >>Having a closer look how these libs are build, I noticed that gcc
> >>_always_ uses the -dynamiclib option. Though libtool should use
> >>the -bundle option, when the -module option is passed to libtool.
> >>Having a look into the libtool.m4 file, I found this line:

archive_cmds='$nonopt $(test "x$module" = xyes && echo -bundle ||
echo -dynamiclib) $allow_undefined_flag -o $lib $libobjs
$deplibs$linker_flags -install_name $rpath/$soname $verstring'

> >>$module _is_ set to yes. In the above mentioned line is a quoting bug.
> >>Replacing the above line by this one works:

archive_cmds='$nonopt $(test .$module = .yes && echo -bundle || echo
-dynamiclib) $allow_undefined_flag -o $lib $ libobjs $deplibs$linker_flags
-install_name $rpath/$soname $verstring'

Now, I have another problem:
gcc: -install_name only allowed with -dynamiclib

>> zsh? Is that another shell?
> In darwin less than 10.2 it was zsh installed as /bin/sh.

Oh, I see.

> Everyone did try to get away with it in the libtool script but it
> wasn't any good - the doublequote-escaping was wrong in either
> zsh or the other shells.

So, there's a chance that my fix goes into an official libtool release?
That would be great!

> So the doublequotes around the $module was...
> finally... simply.... removed.

The fix I 'introduced' above exactly does this.

> Well, I don't know if that's really related to your problem

The zsh quoting bug? Not at all. As I said, I am using bash.
It doesn't hurt me at all, when the zsh support finally gets
completely removed.

All what I want are three things:

1) That my above fix becomes part of one of the next libtool releases
2) That libtool calls gcc with the right params, so that gcc doesn't break
the compiling process with 'gcc: -install_name only allowed with
-dynamiclib'
3) The the right fix for 2) becomes part of libtool, too.

> but just try with the ac-macros and tell to the libtool-list
> of your experience...

Do you mean the macro defined there
?

--
CU,

Christoph Egger
E-Mail: address@hidden

P.S.: Please CC me as I am not subscribed on this list.