RE: Libtool 1.4.3

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: RE: Libtool 1.4.3
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:52:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Howard Chu wrote:

> > I'd like to see 1.4.3. Who else is onboard? What is required to make a
> > release happen?
>
> I'd like to see this as well. Incremental changes tend to be easier to
> swallow. I also found the CVS libtool was not a simple drop-in replacement
> for 1.4.2.

It seems that a lot of people want to see a 1.4.3.  I assume that this
is mostly to try to improve the portability of existing packages with
the least amount of effort.

The situation as I currently see it is:

  o There is a branch (branch-1-4) that was used to to release libtool
    1.4, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2.  I assume this is where 1.4.3 would live
    and be released from.

  o The current availability of libtool maintainership is limited
    to the extent that it is difficult to find enough time to maintain
    even a single line of development.  We would need a maintainer
    available to ram-rod the 1.4.3 release.

  o The head of the main libtool branch is almost ready to release
    (libtool 1.5).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden