Re: Libtool 1.5 && 1.4.3

From: Michel LESPINASSE
Subject: Re: Libtool 1.5 && 1.4.3
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:51:00 -0700

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 06:27:18PM -0500, Robert Boehne wrote:
> Ok, let me see if I understand this one,
> under Linux hppa, (presumably with gcc) user has added -prefer-non-pic
> to the CFLAGS explicitly, and configured with --enable-shared ??

The package adds -prefer-non-pic to the CFLAGS unconditionally (does
not depend on the target arch) and relies on libtool to determine if
it should pass -fPIC or not. As far as I know this works OK on all
arches except hppa. The configure workaround I posted compiles a dummy
library with -prefer-non-pic and checks if it fails.

The way its done in the package is that the configure.in was doing
LIBMPEG2_CFLAGS="$LIBMPEG2_CFLAGS -prefer-non-pic"
I replaced it with
AC_LIBTOOL_NON_PIC([LIBMPEG2_CFLAGS="$LIBMPEG2_CFLAGS -prefer-non-pic"])
with AC_LIBTOOL_NON_PIC as quoted in the previous email.

> What platforms (aside from Alpha & RS/6000) does this work on?

That package (using -prefer-non-pic unconditionally) is into debian
now, it's been compiled successfully on all debian-supported arches
except hppa, so that would be x86, m68k, sparc, alpha, powerpc, arm,
mips/mipsel, ia64 and s390. I'm not sure exactly which of these use
-fPIC or not. Only hppa breaks, as it tries to not use -fPIC where the
architecture apparently requires -fPIC.

Hope this helps,

--
Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE
Is this the best that god can do ? Then I'm not impressed.