Re: About win32 impgen.c patch (fwd)

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: About win32 impgen.c patch (fwd)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:58:06 -0500 (CDT)

I am Cc:ing the libtool list on this response, since there are
interested parties there.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > Comments?  Should pw32 be tracking Cygwin and MinGW in libtool rather
> > than being left behind?
>
>       Yes, please, if it's not hard, pw32 can follow the same sequence as
> mingw.
>
>       As for general point of removing (parts of) impgen.c, I cannot give
> adequate answer as I don't have sources handy. IIRC, it belongs to ld.
> And it's nice to have ability to create all the DLL stuff (even adhoc
> bits like implib) with mere ld (== it's easier for non-win32-savvy
> people to port the stuff). On the other point, there's duplication of
> functionality with dlltool...

Due to advances in binutils, both Cygwin and MinGW no longer use
impgen, or even dlltool, from libtool.  I assume it that pw32 benefits
from the same gcc/binutils enhancements.

Do you recommend that all libtool cases which look like

cygwin* | mingw* )

be extended to

cygwin* | mingw* | pw32*)

and the cruft currently attributed to pw32 (using impgen and dlltool)
be removed?

There is no one currently supporting the pw32 support in libtool, and
until yesterday, none of the currently active maintainers even knew
what pw32 was.  This means that pw32 support in libtool has fallen
into disrepair.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden