Re: Deprecate AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Deprecate AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL?
Date: 27 Oct 2002 10:53:26 +1100

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 06:00, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> This is good info, however, the more pressing matter is that I don't
> see any evidence that AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL currently supports a
> flag which determines if DLLs will built.
>
> There is the variable lt_cv_cc_dll_switch but this is not used at all
> by Cygwin anymore, and MinGW only uses it as a means to transfer
> options.
>
> The decision to build DLLs currently depends on this code:
>
>   if $LD --help 2>&1 | egrep 'auto-import' > /dev/null; then
>
> which is entirely independent of AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL.

Ah. Well as the long long examples demonstrate (presuming you have tried
them on mingw :]), auto import is currently orthogonal to the ability to
build dll's, in the general case. And users can *always* decorate their
headers to import long long or any symbols without auto-import support
in binutils.

IMO, libtool should simply try and build the dll. If dll's need to be
disabled, let the author do that via configure.in.

Rob