Re: Cygwin List O' Issues...[make install DESTDIR=]

From: David I. Lehn
Subject: Re: Cygwin List O' Issues...[make install DESTDIR=]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:05:11 -0500

* Charles Wilson <address@hidden> [20021030 20:23]:
> >2. 'make install DESTDIR=' fails (or relinks to an old version of a
> >dependent lib) when the project contains dependent libraries.
> >
> >This bug affects all platforms.
>
> Demonstrates the problems with dependent shared libraries
> and 'make install DESTDIR=...'
>
> This problem affects all platforms, not just cygwin/windows.
>
> To run, unpack, and
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/inst
>
> You'll see that after installing libone into inst/usr/lib,
> it tries to relink libtwo using -L/usr/lib -lone.
>
> But libone is not IN /usr/lib.  It's in DESTDIR.  And the
> link fails.  Worse, in a real life situation, you could
> silently SUCCEED, but by linking against an OLD version
> of libone in that IS in /usr/lib.

This has been around for a long time.  I posted about it more than a
year ago(?) on the -bugs list with a patch.  I wasn't the first, or the
last.  All these messages are ignored it seems.  I'm not sure why.
There are patches availabled that people are forced to use to make
libtool work properly.  If it is user error then someone please document
the proper way to deal with this issue.

I stole some old redhat ltmain.sh patch from a glib/gtk package.  I used
that for Debian packaging of GStreamer for quite a while.  Recently
someone took my updated stolen patch, updated it more, and now it's in
the standard Debian libtool package.

Could someone -please- either let all of us know how to properly deal
with this relink issue or just apply the ltmain.sh patches in the latest
Debian libtool package to CVS?  Or at least comment on how it should be
modified if it's not acceptable.  Thanks.

Grab the latest diffs from one of:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/libtool.html
http://packages.qa.debian.org/libt/libtool.html

-dave