Re: Cygwin List O' Issues...[make install DESTDIR=]

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: Cygwin List O' Issues...[make install DESTDIR=]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:46:37 -0500

Heh... just need the ltmain.sh part.  Use filterdiff from patchutils:

zcat libtool_1.4.3-2.diff.gz | filterdiff -i \*ltmain.sh

Patch attached.  It just patches ltmain.sh... I haven't looked to see if
there are other related fixes.

Notice also the "exit 1" vs "continue" when a relink fails... is there a
good reason not to exit?  It does leave the -already-installed- files
broken if the relink fails, which can easily be missed unless you know
to scan install log files for it.

A little digging in the debian bug archives (I'm not a debian user, so this is all new to me...)

reveals a reference that Ossama Othman (debian libtool maintainer) submitted a similar patch on Jul 10 2002:

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/libtool-patches/2002-July/002061.html

Of course, this IS against 1.4.2...because that's what debian uses.

I believe the reason this patch got ignored is because it was submitted during the period in July when the libtool mailing lists were all scrogged (I know, because some of my patches were dropped too. But I was more persistent about them than Ossama was. :-)

Anyway, I'll see if I can't update it to apply cleanly to current CVS, and see if it fixes the problem. Let's postpone discussion of the 'exit 1' vs 'continue' until after we have a version that applies to HEAD, and appears to fix the main problem.

--Chuck