Re: Cygwin List O' Issus (take 2): #1 static runtime libs

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: Cygwin List O' Issus (take 2): #1 static runtime libs
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 22:48:55 -0500

Resolved?

See patch on libtool-patches. There are a few extensions to that patch that could be added, but they will change current behavior -- and will affect platforms I can't test on.

So I'm not the one to propose them. I took the conservative approach with the patch -- "do no harm". It fixes the cygwin/C++ problem, while minimally disturbing other architectures and tags.

In the future, other architectures could join cygwin and set
  _LT_AC_TAGVAR(enable_shared_with_static_runtimes, $1)=yes
in various tags.

Further, somebody "in charge" might decide that C should behave more like C++ -- in that it should define an
   output_verbose_link_cmd
call
   AC_LIBTOOL_POSTDEP_PREDEP([tagname])
(which would add the "hidden" libs to $postdeps, $predeps, etc), and change all link commands (for tag=C) to use
  -nostdlibs
But that's a radical change and not one I'm comfortable making on my own -- and AC_LIBTOOL_POSTDEP_PREDEP really should get a shakedown on other platforms, restricted to tag=C++, first.

Currently, the patch does the minimum required to solve cygwin's C++ problem and not hurt other platforms/tags. But the infrastructure is there to expand to other tags, and platforms.

--Chuck