[shell functions, was RE: solving of name conflicts in included . a]

From: Boehne, Robert
Subject: [shell functions, was RE: solving of name conflicts in included . a]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:17:24 -0500

Jan,

That actually brings up a big issue.  I *assumed* that the win32 patches
using shell functions that were checked in would only have shell functions
when running under windows.  I later saw this was not the case.  There has
been a large amount of debate over this in the Autoconf list, which I do
not care to repeat here.  There are systems that do not have shell functions
in their bourne shells, this is a known fact.  The decision to support them
was made a long time ago, and as time progresses it seems to make less sense
to support aging systems like this.  However, I do not want Libtool to get
out of sync with Autoconf, suddenly not running on systems where Autoconf
does run.  Frankly, I don't see the point of shell functions in this case
because we use m4.  The solution I would propose is to turn your shell functions
into m4 macros where possible, and any WIN32 specific code can be only included
when WIN32 is detected at run time
(via ". some_here_document_containing_win32_shellfuncs")
Until all the Autotool maintainers decide to abandon support for non-shell function
bourne shells we need to support them as well.  The Autoconf maintainers recently
decided against this, and keeping compatibility with Autoconf is a primary concern.
  I vote to revert the patches that use shell functions, preferring to include
them only on systems known to use them (like win32).  The patch resolving name
conflicts in archive libs could be converted to m4, or just included in
the necessary spots.
  Considering the relative ease that these changes could be done with, I don't
think it makes sense to drop any platform for this reason.

Ok, let the flame wars begin...

Robert