Re: [shell functions, was RE: solving of name conflicts in included . a]

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [shell functions, was RE: solving of name conflicts in included . a]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:22:19 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Since autoconf (>= 2.56) will only work on systems whose shells support
> shell functions, and libtool requires autoconf, then libtool will only
> work on those same systems.  Which means shell functions are available
> and we *can* use them.  Whether we *should* use them or not is then a
> technical decision, resting on the arguments you put forward above.

Shell functions could be used in the libtool-portion of the configure
script, the generated libtool, or both.  If they are only used in the
configure script, then there is some hope that libtool could be
cross-compiled from a more modern host like:

  ./configure --host=very-old-os

and be copied to the target for execution.  It could also be used as
part of a larger package that supports being cross-compiled.

Does libtool support being cross compiled?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden