Re: [shell functions, was RE: solving of name conflicts in included.a]

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: [shell functions, was RE: solving of name conflicts in included.a]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:53:42 -0800

Akim Demaille wrote:
> I don't agree.  Autoconf does not use shell functions, it just says it
> will some day.  If you want to use shell functions, don't do it
> pretending Autoconf did first :)
>
> Also, Autoconf will try to find a shell that supports functions.

Someone made the assertion that the next major release,
already under CVS, did use shell functions.  If it is not,
then it should.  Far, far too much programmer time and energy,
not to mention build time, gets squandered messing around trying
to support silly antiquated hobbyist versions of UNIX.  Let
them install BASH and get out of our way.  Both of them.

BTW, why even bother looking for a real shell if you are
not going to take advantage of it?