RE: Version numbering change on IRIX

From: Rainer Orth
Subject: RE: Version numbering change on IRIX
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:34:33 +0100 (MET)

Robert,

> This change was a long time coming, so many people have complained
> about having libx.so.1 under Solars/Linux and having libx.so.2 under IRIX.
> Adding 1 to the version isn't necessary, I've looked everywhere I could
> think of to find out why this was done in the first place, but found
> none.  I realize this change doesn't "fix" anything, and could potentially
> cause problems, but these will be transient, and it is consistent with
> other platforms.

indeed: breaking every application linked against the old (overwritten)
version of affected libraries is certainly a problem.  This will be
transient since people will be forced to rebuild/relink every affected
application; something I consider a nightmare in big installations,
especially when libraries used all over the place (like the GCC runtime
libraries) are affected.

I can already hear the outcry from affected users and admins; I don't want
to be in the position to explain to them that their applications had to be
broken for cosmetic reasons and consistency with other platforms.

        Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University