Re: CVS libtool package issues

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: CVS libtool package issues
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:50:51 -0500

There are a number CVS libtool package issues which should be
addressed before libtool 1.5 is released.

Also, check the 'In the Near Term" section here: http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/future.html Of the four bullet points, AFAIK only one ("Robert Collins...") has actually been achieved.

  1) 'make distclean' does not work unless 'make test' has
     been performed since otherwise there are no Makefiles
     in the test directory.

Dunno.  I always run make check.

  3) The Makefile.am files used by the libtool demos are not
     compatable with any version of Automake newer than 1.6.2
     due to this error:

  Makefile.am: object `longer_file_name_hello.lo' created both with
  libtool and without
  Makefile.am: object `longer_file_name_foo.lo' created both with
  libtool and without

  4) With Autoconf 2.56 and Automake 1.7.1, automake fails with the
     error:

  tests/Makefile.am:73: FFLAGS was already defined in condition TRUE,
  which implies condition HAVE_F77_TRUE ...
  configure.ac:111: ... `FFLAGS' previously defined here.

Are you sure? I've seen both messages, but I always thought they were warnings, not errors. I had no problems building and testing, even after the appearance of those messages. (cygwin-over-w2k)

--Chuck