Re: [Fink-devel] Re: libtool "module" behavior and darwin

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [Fink-devel] Re: libtool "module" behavior and darwin
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:44:51 +0100

Benjamin Reed wrote:
On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 05:17 PM, Guido Draheim wrote:

That's actually the difference between "-all-static" and "-static" IIRC.
The "-static" should only link its .la's as static, and non-la's dynamic.
But perhaps I am mistaken too, that's why I did ask if you did try somewhen.

Well, plenty of the la's in kde's tree are dynamic and not bundles (like, libkdecore). If I did -static, I would end up with every binary in kdelibs linked statically... =)

You mean they are listed as ".la" on the link-line?

To stick with the example, there is a
   LIB_KDEGAMES = libkdegames.la
in your makefiles? aargh, kde maniacs at work....

Well, anyways, as in the other subthread: may be we'd instruct all
-module .la to be linked as .a, on all platforms, and leave all the
other .la be dynalinked. That would help here, and from my POV not
be incorrect on other platforms either. Hey, I may be wrong, so
what do others think?