Re: [Fink-devel] Re: libtool "module" behavior and darwin

From: Benjamin Reed
Subject: Re: [Fink-devel] Re: libtool "module" behavior and darwin
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:49:05 -0500

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 05:44 PM, Guido Draheim wrote:

You mean they are listed as ".la" on the link-line?

To stick with the example, there is a
   LIB_KDEGAMES = libkdegames.la
in your makefiles? aargh, kde maniacs at work....

No, it would be, libfoo_la_LIBADD = $(top_builddir)/kdecore/libkdecore.la

How else would you link against a library that's not installed yet?

Well, anyways, as in the other subthread: may be we'd instruct all
-module .la to be linked as .a, on all platforms, and leave all the
other .la be dynalinked. That would help here, and from my POV not
be incorrect on other platforms either. Hey, I may be wrong, so
what do others think?

Seems like no matter how "correct" it is, you'd be breaking (depending on your definition of breaking =) 95% of the platforms that it works on, just for the 5% where it doesn't...

We're already used to working around the linker and ld.so (well, dyld) on darwin, since it's just plain odd. Seems silly to make modules unloadable on elf platforms just for us, when, to me, loading modules is a feature. It just happens to be a feature I don't have on Darwin. <g>