Re: libtool "module" behavior and darwin

From: Nick Hudson
Subject: Re: libtool "module" behavior and darwin
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:38:25 +0000

On Sunday 24 November 2002 6:23 pm, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> One of the problems we're running into getting KDE working on Darwin is
> libtool's concept of a "module", and how it's mapped onto Darwin's
> linker behavior.

This was talked about some time ago by Michael Matz and myself.

> To get around issues with prebinding and speed of C++ code loading,
> especially on linux, KDE creates many of it's executables as shared
> libraries, linked twice, once as a module and once a binary.  So the
> "kbackgammon" program is kbackgammon.so and kbackgammon, with main()
> existing in kbackgammon.so, and kbackgammon being linked against the
> .so and an empty dummy.cpp file to make linkers happy as far as making
> a program.

I have create patches to the KDE build system that solves a related problem
that affects NetBSD a.out platforms. I believe they should fix the Darwin
problem.

Unfortunately Michael never folded them back into KDE. I guess he is too busy.
:(

Nick