Re: Problems with cvs-libtool and Solaris CC

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: Problems with cvs-libtool and Solaris CC
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:10:14 -0600

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:13:10AM +0100, Erik Assum wrote:
> * Robert Boehne
> | Could you give a bit more detail as to what the problem is?
> | You say it compilains about "x", could you send us an
> | error message?
>
> Of course!
>
> [ snip snip ]
> (cd .libs/libtango.lax/libclient.a && /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -xar x
> /users/taurel/tmp/erik/16-12/tango-2.1.3/lib/cpp/server/../client/.libs/libclient.a)
>
> CC: Outfile required when -xar flag is used
>
> As you see, CC is called with -xar, which I believe is correct, but I
> don't know what the `x' is supposed to do. As you saw in the previous
> mail, I found the following bit of code in the generated libtool:
>
> | > # The archiver.
> | > AR="/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -xar"
> | > AR_FLAGS="-o"
>
> Which seems to be correct, but further down.

Sun C++ requires /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -xar to *create* archives.
However, it appears we cannot use this to *extract* archives. Bummer.
So, do we need a separate AR_x variable to control the path to an AR
used to extract archives?

If you look at a Sun C++ .a archive file, you'll find the .o files
archived and other .o files (objects of template functions I guess).
Any idea how to properly extract a Sun C++ archive? /usr/bin/ar
wouldn't pull out the extra .o files.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)