Problem on rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.2.0 (Fortran)

From: Steve Edwards
Subject: Problem on rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.2.0 (Fortran)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:02:52 +0000

I have just run into problems trying to use libtool on a
rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.2.0 system to build a library written in Fortran with
the IBM compiler xlf/xlf90.

There is an immediate compilation failure stating:

xlf90: 1501-210 command option P contains an incorrect subargument

libtool appears to insist on adding -DPIC to the compile command which
is being interpreted very differently by the IBM compiler than g77 would
treat it.

I've searched the mail archives and found two references to this
'feature' but haven't come across any messages suggesting a method for
curing it.

As this is on rs6000 architecture, I got around the problem by modifying
the libtool script to remove the addition of -DPIC but have no idea if
this breaks something vitally important (it appeared to work okay).

Steve