versioning rationale for IRIX/OSF

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: versioning rationale for IRIX/OSF
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:16:16 -0600 (CST)

I've been using libtool for years, hacking on it for personal use for a
while, and on this list for a year or so.

One thing I've never understood about libtool is why it uses both SONAME
style versioning *and* internal versioning on platforms like IRIX and
Tru64.  In the past I've hacked out the SONAME style versioning on those
two platforms so that it just uses `libwhatever.so' as the SONAME, and
the versioning is done via the internal versioning field.

Still there are advantages to using SONAME-based versioning (i.e. it's
slightly easier to have multiple versions of a library available on
a platform).

What I don't get is the rationale for using both styles.  Can anyone
enlighten me regarding this issue?

Thanks!

Tim
--