Re: linux/alpha and ccc compiler

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: linux/alpha and ccc compiler
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:06:09 -0600

Bob,

This patch isn't quite up to par.  For one, it is against a very old
version of Libtool, and the method it uses is very sloppy.  Generally
we check the compiler by it's name, when that isn't useful we check
what "-V or --version" returns, and as a last resort use pre-defined
preprocessor macros.  These tests would generally be nested in the
OS case that is appropriate for the compiler so that tests aren't
conducted
unnecessarily.  The other problem with the patch is that you say you
aren't the original author.  Without the name of the original author
we can't check for copyright assignments.  Lastly, the patch sets so few
flags that I doubt it really works.
  Now, it wouldn't be too difficult for you to start from scratch with
CVS Libtool and make a patch to support this compiler.  First step is
to read the Libtool documentation that referrs to porting to new
compilers,
then have a look at how it is currently done in Libtool.  I would
suggest
looking at the stanzas for Intel's icc, your Compaq C patch would likely
go in the same place (above or below the icc code), test for "ccc", and
set the same variables.  Feel free to contact me off the list if you
need
help.

Thanks,

Robert