Re: How is relinking with DESTDIR != installdir in newish libtool?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: How is relinking with DESTDIR != installdir in newish libtool?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:05:36 -0600

Do you ever have the problem that the libtool re-linker finds the old version of the thing you are building from /usr/lib before it finds the BUILDROOT one in /tmp/build-root/usr/lib?

That's my fear

pj

Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: How is relinking with DESTDIR != installdir in newish...:

With libtool-1.4.2, I was using a patch (see below) that introduced
DESTDIR that fixed the problems with relinking that happened when
building RPMS. The problem was that when libraries were temporarily
installed to /tmp/buildroot/usr/lib the re-linker would look in the
final destination /usr/lib and fail.

Has this problem been solved in the newer libtool such as 1.4.3 or 1.5?
How?  I just looked at ltmain.sh from 1.4.3 and there is no DESTDIR.

1.4.3 solved it in a different way, using a patch based either
partially or fully on work done by Ossama Othman (I think).  It adds an
argument "-inst-prefix-dir" that gets passed to libtool during the relink
that happens during install.  It all happens automatically, so there's
nothing new that a package builder needs to worry about.

1.4.3 has been working relatively well for me, for the majority of
packages I've built with it.  I use BuildRoot installs exclusively.

Tim