Re: Libtool Digest, Vol 3, Issue 35

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: Libtool Digest, Vol 3, Issue 35
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:08:36 +1100

>A convenience library is usually part of your own package,
>it turns into a list of object files when you link to it.
>It could be in a subdirectory, much like libltdl is for
>many packages that use it.
>Here is a section of the manual that mentions them:
>http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#SEC14

Unfortunately all it does do is mention them!  It does not explain what it
means or how to build or use them.  Is there any useful documentation?

What we are looking for on MacOS X is the ability to link a static library
into a dylib with the -all-load flag, which ensures all symbols are loaded
even if not referenced.  Having read the MacOS X ld docs, this is the only
way to build a dylib which actually includes all the symbol definitions
from some other library.
I seem to remember seeing libtool use the -all-load flag, but I spent
several hours reading what documentation there is and I can see no clues
how to do this.

Bill Northcott