RE: libtool support for intel icc compiler

From: Himanshu_Khurana
Subject: RE: libtool support for intel icc compiler
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:51:37 +0530

Hi all
I have been struggling with this since quite a while now. This is what I have
found. Some changes in libtool.m4 have been made to support Intel compiler.Thes
are like
..
..
icpc)
  # Intel C++
  _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_wl, $1)='-Wl,'
  _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)='-KPIC'
  _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_static, $1)='-static'
..
..
linux*)
  case $cc_basename in
  icc|ecc)
    _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_wl, $1)='-Wl,'
    _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)='-KPIC'
    _LT_AC_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_static, $1)='-static'
    ;;
..
..

WHICH means that libtool must now supoort both icc and icpc . BUT when I am
running my configure script by setting the following environment variables

CC=icc
CXX=icpc
LD=ld

PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly set to find the above

IT SEEMS that the above mentioned changes in libtool.m4 are never incorporated
in my case. Either this is a bug or may be I am making a blunder .Of these two
options  latter is a strong possibility  because its just been 10 days since I
have started with linux . :-)

Coming back to the point
I run
./bootstrap             DOESNT COMPLAIN WITH ANY ERRORS
./configure --prefix=/home/me/usr    DOESNT COMPLAIN WITH ANY ERRORS
make                    GIVES THE FOLLOWING ERROR

configure: creating ./config.status
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile icc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -c -o lt
dl.lo `test -f 'ltdl.c' || echo './'`ltdl.c
mkdir .libs
 icc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -c ltdl.c  -DPIC -o .libs/ltdl.o
 icc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -c ltdl.c -o ltdl.o >/dev/null 2>&1
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link icc  -g   -o libltdl.la -rpath /home/himanshu/usr/
/lib -no-undefined -version-info 4:0:1 ltdl.lo -ldl
icc -shared  .libs/ltdl.o  -ldl -lc  -soname libltdl.so.3 -o .libs/libltdl.so.3.
1.0
icc: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option '-soname'
ld: cannot open libltdl.so.3: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libltdl.la] Error 1
make[2]: Target `all-am' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

WHEN I SAY
ls

I CAN SEE libtool having already been made

AND WHEN I SAY

./libtool --config

I GET

..
..
# Libtool was configured on host blrkecxxx:

# Shell to use when invoking shell scripts.
SHELL="/bin/sh"

# Whether or not to build shared libraries.
build_libtool_libs=yes

# Whether or not to build static libraries.
build_old_libs=yes

# Whether or not to add -lc for building shared libraries.
build_libtool_need_lc=yes

# A C compiler.
LTCC="icc"

# A language-specific compiler.
CC="icc"

# Is the compiler the GNU C compiler?
with_gcc=
# The linker used to build libraries.
LD="ld"

# How to pass a linker flag through the compiler.
wl=""

# Additional compiler flags for building library objects.
pic_flag=" -DPIC"
pic_mode=default

..
..

NOW WHAT I THINK IS THAT SINCE LIBTOOL FOR ICC IS NOT BEING TAUGHT HOW TO
handle PIC,and linker flag(wl="Wl,") and this is why the make command is
failing due to inability of icc to pass -soname option to linker.

WHICH MEANS that the abovementioned piece of code-patch in libtool.m4 is not
being accessed.

MY QUESTION IS WHY? IS IT A PROBLEM WITH THW WAY I AM DOING THINGS ???????
LOOKING FOR HELP

:-)
Himanshu Khurana
Software Engineer