Re: win32 short name and IFS='~'

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: win32 short name and IFS='~'
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 02:47:29 +0200

Naofumi Yasufuku wrote:
At Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:10:10 +0200,
Guido Draheim wrote:

I have a similar problem on a different account: the version
management system at my employer uses "~" in directory names
to flag different branches and subversions of projects and
their checkout areas. The libtool has the tendency to
resolve some symlinks, so it does not help to put some
directories elsewhere. It was impossible to build with
libtool in this environment - after some time I did write
up an ac-macro that changes the _cmds IFS from "~" into "?"
which is much more uncommon to exist in either a filename
or a _cmds specification. Add the following macro after
OUTPUT, and you should be fine with any "~" in file or
directory names in the system:

http://ac-archive.sf.net/guidod/patch_libtool_changing_cmds_ifs.html

Btw, I wouldn't mind if libtool would simply not use "~" as
the IFS in its original source, so this libtool-patching
could get obsolete once and for all. -- cheers, guido

I think '~' IFS char is chosen carefully and it shouldn't be changed.
For example, '?' might be used in regular expression, and so on.
In libtool, directories are mostly treated as absolute path, so that
'~' is relatively safe.

That's the point, I have a directory /my/project~tng/src and the
libtool will break at an unknown /my/project or tng/src. Where
do you think "?" would get in the way? makefile targets are
resolved anyway, and real-world file globs use "*" anyway, the
use of "?"-fileglobs looks academic too me - show me a counter
example, an existing one please.

-- cheers, guido