Re: $CC and intel icc/ecc compiler

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: $CC and intel icc/ecc compiler
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:29:17 -0500 (CDT)

On 9 Apr 2003, Samuel Meder wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 20:52, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > It seems to me that both the before and after code is incorrect.  The
> > reason why I say is is that $CC may contain the command plus some
> > arguments which are required for it to behave in some consistent way.
>
> So it is naive to think that those things should go into CFLAGS? Off the
> top of my head I can't think of a single scenario where I'd want them in
> $CC rather than $CFLAGS. Do you have one?

Yes, my

   CC='gcc -V 3.1.1'

example is a good one since it selects the version of the tool-set to
be used.  Most of gcc's '-m' options deserve to be specified in the CC
specification since these specify the target architecture, and the
compiler may need to select different startup-files, libraries,
linker, etc, to support that target architecture.

I am just using gcc as an example.  Many vendor compilers need special
flags to enable ANSI C support, select the target ABI, or other modes.

CFLAGS is only used for compilation.  LDFLAGS is used for linking.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden