Re: CygWin woes

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: CygWin woes
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:52:02 +0200

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:49:08AM +0200, Robert Boehne wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> Where are the undefined symbols?  If they are in your own code,
> perhaps defined in the executable, then you won't be able to port to
> Win32, period.
> Under Windows, DLL's have to be fully resolved, this is always a good
> idea but Windows is the only platform that I'm aware of where it is
> required.  If your project is building and running under Linux (or
> some similar OS) you can add a linker flag to cause it to be an error
> if a symbol is unresolved.
> That may help you find out where the problem is.

First of all, There was no detailed report of exactly what symbols that
were undefined. Secondly, secondly I couldn't find anything that stood
out when using nm to look at the symbols, it looked to me that
everything would be fine by simply linking with libc!

I then tried to make a ridiculously simple library. The following code
was all it contained:

  int
  foo(int bar)
  {
    return 42 * bar;
  }

Libtool still complained about undefined symbols, and refused to build a
DLL in CygWin...

I will try libtool 1.5 once it's propagated to the mirror I am using,
something that might already have happened BTW.

/M