libtool/automake: how to build and use an internal library.

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Subject: libtool/automake: how to build and use an internal library.
Date: 01 May 2003 16:26:28 +0200

Hi,

src/foo/foo.c should be used by foo/bar/libbar.so and foo/tool/tool.

I don't want to build a full fledged shared library libfoo.so.0.0.0
because foo is not big, important or useful enough to do that.
foo is not meant to be used outside the app.

I tried to build libfoo.a and link the other parts with it.
Automake tells me this is not portable.

As last solution i simply listed ../foo/foo.c as part of SOURCES
in the Makefile.am. But if you know a better way to do this: please
tell me.

Now someone told me, it would be ok, if automake/libtool
created libfoo.a and libfoo_pic.a, and automake picked the
right one to link with. However I have no idea how to do that.
Is that possible? how?

I guess there are other people out there that use internal
libraries. How to do these?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Andreas