Re: -Wl,-rpath question

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: -Wl,-rpath question
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 13:44:15 -0500 (CDT)

I am supprized that this posting has not caused a flurry of responses
since use of -R is a deeply religious issue.  There are many who are
adamantly opposed to using it since they believe that using a library
run-path can cause problems if the library is copied to a different
system, the library dependencies change due to a dependent library, or
the environment of the library changes.  They believe that the run
path should either be specified by the user, or be dictated by
operating system configuration so that it can be tailored to the
run-time environment.  This argument makes a lot of sense for many
open-sourced operating sysems, or in networked environments.

Libtool does preserve any -R arguments in the dependency_libs
parameter of the installed .la file.  Pre-compiled packages which
don't include -R in the .la file have decided not to supply it.

Bob