Re: Libtool 1.5 on MacOS X

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: Libtool 1.5 on MacOS X
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:22:27 +1000

Another member of our group suggested:
> Before installing libtool 1.5, go through the libtool.m4 and change all
> the stuff
> that says:
> if $CC -v 2>&1 | grep 'Apple' >/dev/null ; then \
> to:
> if true; then
> Then rerun libtool's `bootstrap', and reisntall.
> The basic problem is that libtool uses the info from "gcc -v" to do
> Darwin things if it sees "Apple".   GCC 3.3 doesn't report "Apple".

This sounds very plausible to me.  It would explain why I have not had
trouble building other gnu tools using Apple's compiler.
I will test it and report back before sending the complete log.

The $CC -v | grep 'Apple' will only work if you are using the Apple
compiler.  Mac hackers like us may well be using a compiler built from FSF
sources.  We do it because we need to use the GNU Objective-C runtime and
the -fgnu-runtime flag crashes Apple's compilers:-(  Others may may use
FSF sources for the languages not included in the Apple builds such as
f77, ada etc..

The fix suggested above is obviously an OS specific kluge.  It seems to me
that libtool needs to know the linker, not the compiler.  It would be
better to use "if cc -v 2>&1..." which would test the default compiler,
but that could still be defeated by the PATH setting.  Unfortunately
Apple's ld has no version option.  The test I have used is to check for
MacOS X is uname = 'Darwin'.  This may give a problem with old Rhapsody
versions of the OS but you could test version as well.  On my machines:
[pbg4-12bn:macosx/swarmx/build] billn% uname -v
Darwin Kernel Version 6.6: Thu May  1 21:48:54 PDT 2003;
root:xnu/xnu-344.34.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC