RE: A portable way to link in all objects

From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
Subject: RE: A portable way to link in all objects
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:29:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Howard Chu wrote:
> > Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> > I am looking for a way to portably tell libtool to link in all objects
> > of a given static library.
[snip]
> Link all of the static archive members into a single object file. This works
> on all platforms:
>       (mkdir foo; cd foo; ar x ../libx1.a; ld -r -o ../libxx.o *.o)
>       rm -rf foo; ar r libxx.a libxx.o
>
> You don't need libtool to accomplish this.
This is not the kind of answer I was looking for: I am already using
libtool for the package and I don't want to change that. What I want is a
way to not-manually build a static library that will be completely linked
into a not-manually built executable. I.e. I want to be able to tell
Libtool to do what you're proposing to do by hand. Theonly way I can see
that happening is by adding a line to libmylib.la, telling libtool to link
the complete static library into the executable.

I.e. I don't want to have to tell people how to link with my libraries *in
detail*: I want to be able to just say "use Libtool to link to this
library" and make it transparent to the end user of the library whether
he's linking with a static or a shared version of it.

As I believe that is more or less the goal of Libtool as well (to make the
developer worry about other things than how to run the compiler/linker on
the libraries) I think this feature (if missing and not overlooked on my
part) might interest the people behind Libtool..

My only real problem is that I don't have, and can't get, a copyright
waiver.

rlc