Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:06:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Albert Chin wrote:

> It's really annoying to have 1.5 automatically generate the C++ and
> F77 tags. I'm trying to figure out why it does this. We have the
> following in libtool.m4:
>   dnl If AC_PROG_CXX has already been expanded, run AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
>   dnl immediately, otherwise, hook it in at the end of AC_PROG_CXX.
>     AC_PROVIDE_IFELSE([AC_PROG_CXX],
>       [AC_LIBTOOL_CXX],
>       [define([AC_PROG_CXX], defn([AC_PROG_CXX])[AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
>     ])])
>
> Is this suppose to generate the C++ tag *only* if AC_PROG_CXX is
> called? If not, what does it mean because the C++ tag is *always*
> being created?

It looks to me like it is simply trying to ensure a proper execution
order of AC_PROG_CXX vs AC_LIBTOOL_CXX.  AC_LIBTOOL_CXX is run after
AC_PROG_CXX and can be run immediately if AC_PROG_CXX has already been
run.

The default for libtool is to attempt to configure all tags.  This is
reasonable for a stand-alone libtool, but is not very reasonable for
an embedded libtool.  That is why we still need the macro you proposed
which allows the user to tell libtool which language tags to
configure.  Package configure scripts would then need to incoporate
the macro in order to limit the tags which get configured.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden