Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:51:42 +0200

>>> "Albert" == Albert Chin <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Albert> I don't have a problem requiring AC_PROG_CXX, AC_PROG_F77, or
 Albert> AM_PROG_GCJ before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL. Anyone see this as a problem?

As a user I wouldn't care about this little inconvenience if it
allows Libtool not to bloat my configure with useless checks.

However, requiring this will break thousands of configure.ac.  I
expect most of them to run AC_INIT, AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL early, and then go on with other checks such as
language checks.

Maybe this could be changed as follows:

  - if any of AC_PROG_CC, AC_PROG_CXX, AC_PROG_F77, or AM_PROG_GCJ
    are called before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL, define the tags only for
    those which are called.  (I think there is no tag for CC, but if
    only AC_PROG_CC is called that would just means that CXX, F77, and
    GCJ are not wanted.)

  - if none of these macros is called before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL, assume
    they might be called latter and define all tags, as in the current
    implementation.  See this as backward compatibility.

Also, this would allow one to configure Libtool to use some
languages and ignore other.  E.g.,

   # I only use Libtool with C programs, I don't need it for C++.
   AC_PROG_CC
   AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
   AC_PROG_CXX

Alexandre Duret-Lutz