Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: 1.5 automatically generating C++, F77 tags
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:56:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> [...]
>
>  Albert> I don't have a problem requiring AC_PROG_CXX, AC_PROG_F77, or
>  Albert> AM_PROG_GCJ before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL. Anyone see this as a problem?
>
> As a user I wouldn't care about this little inconvenience if it
> allows Libtool not to bloat my configure with useless checks.
>
> However, requiring this will break thousands of configure.ac.  I
> expect most of them to run AC_INIT, AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL early, and then go on with other checks such as
> language checks.

This is true.  It may be very inconvenient for some packages to change
the ordering.

> Maybe this could be changed as follows:

It is generally not a good approach to base a design on side-effects
or assumptions.  Up to now, adding AC_PROG_LIBTOOL to a configure.ac
file has been sufficient to configure libtool, regardless of whether
libtool is stand-alone or embedded.  This behavior should not be
altered.

I believe that a much better solution is to add a AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS (or
AC_LIBTOOL_LANGUAGES) macro which can be used like

AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS([c c++])
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

This option specification macro would be used in a similar way to the
existing AC_DISABLE_SHARED & AC_ENABLE_STATIC options to pass options
to AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.

_LT_AC_TAGCONFIG can be updated to recognize when AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS has
been executed, and to use the tagnames value it provides.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden